Lindsay Calhoun, 81, formerly of Burlington, died at 4:50 PM Saturday, June 3, 2017, at Rogerson House in Jamaica Plain in Boston, Massachusetts.
Born February 22, 1936, in Burlington, she was the daughter of William James and Betty Edgar Cooper. Her birth on Washington’s birthday and her sister’s birth on Jefferson’s birthday led to a lifelong friendly debate as to which was the greater president.
On June 22, 1958, she married Clifford Julian Calhoun in Christ Episcopal Church in Burlington.
Lindsay graduated from Burlington High School in 1954, from Carleton College in 1958 and from the University of Colorado in 1974 with a Master’s degree. She worked as a librarian for the Boulder Public Schools in Boulder Colorado. She kept a papier-mâché pig in the library of Mapleton School and entertained the children by dressing “Pig” in a variety of costumes. She was a founding organizer of the Boulder Bach Festival. During her retirement in Burlington, she was a member of Christ Episcopal Church, Treble Clef and the Southeast Iowa Symphony. She enjoyed playing tennis, reading, singing, playing the piano and, especially, playing her violin. She loved her family and her pets, and was kind to everyone she knew.
Survivors include one son, William (Jill) Calhoun of Bloomsburg, PA; one daughter, Catherine (Ronald) Bosch of Roslindale, MA; five grandchildren, Emily & Samuel Calhoun, and Henry, Cooper & Mary Bosch; one sister, Jean (James) Neumann of Iowa City; and several nieces & nephews.
She was preceded in death by her parents and her husband.
Visitation will be from 8:00 AM until 5:00 PM with the family to receive friends from 3:00 PM until 5:00 PM Friday, June 16, 2017 at Prugh's Chapel.
The funeral service for Mrs. Calhoun will be 10:00 AM Saturday, June 17, 2017, at Christ Episcopal Church with Father Carl Mann officiating. A time of food and fellowship will be held at Big Muddy’s following the service. Burial will be at 3:00 PM in Aspen Grove Cemetery.
Memorials have been established for the Alzheimer’s Association and Christ Episcopal Church.